Friday, April 4, 2014

Throat Punched...



We were told to make weekly appointments with our high risk doctor so we could keep an eye on the bladder and make sure my amniotic fluid levels didn’t drop below normal range.

So, the next week I told Donny to go ahead and go to work and my dad came to the appointment with me.

I’m a teacher and after talking with my principal, she arranged for me to have a ½ day sub so that I could go to the appointment.

We go in and have the ultrasound. I notice that the bladder has not really changed one way or the other which was good. I had been praying for God to completely heal this situation. But…he hadn’t. But, the situation hadn’t gotten any worse from what I could tell…..My baby was moving his head and wiggling around. He had a good heartbeat.

Then….the doctor came in. She told us that she was concerned because my baby wasn’t moving its limbs. She also could tell that the hands weren’t forming properly. This led her to believe our baby had a nerve disorder and therefore probably would not be a candidate for the shunt surgery.

I felt like I was punched in the stomach. Why was this happening to us?

We were told that we should have an amniocentesis to determine if there was any chromosomal issue going on. We were reluctant to do so, but decided that on the off chance nothing showed up, we might still be able to have the shunt surgery to help our little one.

Our doctor told us we should probably hope to have a chromosomal issue because then the change of it happening in future pregnancies would be less than 1%. …………….thanks

Our baby’s chance of survival went down tremendously.

Needless to say, I was a complete mess. I didn’t return to work that day.

 I had to wait until I was 17 or 18 weeks (I can’t remember exactly) to have the amniocentesis.

By this time , my baby’s bladder was about 4 times the size of its head.

I went home and prayed. I was praying for a miracle at this point.
“God please heel my baby if it be your will. If this is not your will please help me understand why. Please give us peace through this time.”

No comments:

Post a Comment